Wellness is the dynamic process of becoming aware of, taking responsibility for, and making choices that directly contribute to one's well being and that of the common good. It is the integration of body, mind and spirit and the ongoing development of one's own meaning in life.
The Living Well Pharmacy wants to be a partner in your wellness journey and provide you with helpful resources regarding your health. To help answer your questions about any health conditions or treatments affecting you or someone you know, consult our profesional pharmacists.
Many people depend on vitamins, minerals and herbal supplements to boost their health and wellness. Check out our comprehensive A to Z Guides to learn more about vitamins and minerals and herbal remedies.
Top 10 Vitamins You Should Be Taking!
1. Omega-3 Fish Oil: Fish Oil provides the essential fatty acids our body needs but cannot produce on its own. One can obtain Omega-3 by eating fish such as salmon but a supplement is highly recommended. Fish Oil is great for heart health; eye care; joint health; pregnant women; skin care; mood and concentration enhancement and overall general health. (Recommended Brand: Nordic Naturals)
2. Multi- Vitamin: A multi-vitamin is essential for general health. It provides the necessary vitamins and minerals the body needs to function properly. Taking a multi-vitamin could help prevent deficiencies and promote a healthier life. (Recommended Brand: Solgar VM line and Omnium)
3. Vitamin D: Vitamin D plays a huge role in bone health. Vitamin D, along with calcium, has been studied as a potential treatment for osteoporosis. Vitamin D and calcium can reduce the risk of bone loss and fractures in elderly people and can be taken as a preventative measure for those who are at risk for osteoporosis. (Recommended Brand: Solgar)
4. Pro-biotic: A great deal of our immunity comes from our gut. Multiple factors can occur to reduce the good bacteria in our intestines. Pro-biotics supplement these good bacteria and is great for the alleviation of chronic intestinal inflammatory diseases, prevention and treatment of pathogen-induced diarrhea, urogenital infections, atopic diseases and auto-immune diseases. (Recommended Brand: Metagenics, Nutrition Now: PB8 and Solgar)
5. CoQ-10: Coenzyme Q10 (CoQ10) is produced by the human body and is necessary for the basic functioning of cells. CoQ10 levels are reported to decrease with age and to be low in patients with some chronic diseases such as heart conditions, muscular dystrophies, Parkinson's disease, cancer, diabetes, and HIV/AIDS. CoQ10 is great for those with hypertension (High blood pressure); Alzheimer’s diseases; certain heart disease and cancer as well as diabetes and migraines. (Recommended Brand: Solgar and Twinlab)
6. Digestive Enzymes: Digestive Enzymes causes or aids in digestion. They help reduce heartburn; bloating; food allergies; parasites; Irritable Bowel Syndrome; Fatigue and inflammation. (Recommended Brand: Champion Nutrition, Twinlab, Metagenics and Solgar)
7. B-12: Vitamin B12 helps maintain healthy nerve cells and red blood cells and is also needed to make DNA, the genetic material in all cells. Vitamin B12 can help aid abnormal neurological and psychiatric symptoms. It helps treats hypotension; vision problems; dementia; psychoses and mood disturbances. People at risk for vitamin B12 deficiency include strict vegetarians, elderly people, and breastfed infants among others. (Recommend Brand: Solgar, Twinlab)
8. Vitamin C: The benefits of Vitamin C are plentiful. Vitamin C helps with stress, colds, and strokes as well as protection against immune system deficiencies, cardiovascular disease, prenatal health problems, eye disease, and even skin wrinkling. (Recommended Brand: Solgar, Twin )
9. Vitamin E: The health benefits of vitamin E range include skin enhancement, wound healing, immune function, and protection against various diseases. Vitamin E has antioxidant capacities; prevents cholesterol from being converted to plague; protects skip and lips to help retain moisture and prevent dryness, itchiness, and chapping; and can both relieve and prevent osteoarthritis by acting as an anti-inflammatory and pain reliever. (Recommended Brand: Solgar)
10.Alpha Lipoic Acid: Alpha Lipoic Acid or ALA has been shown to be helpful in weight loss. It can lower blood sugar levels as well (wonderful for diabetics). ALA can work as an antioxidant in the body; can help prevent some age related diseases such as Alzheimer’s, Parkinson’s, heart disease; and helps with diabetes. (Recommended Brand: Solgar)